Some experts recommend you replace your window screens every 10-15 years depending on how harsh mother nature is, general upkeep, and other external factors, but that doesn’t mean that timeframe is right for everyone. As extreme weather patterns increase, replacement windows and patio door screens are on the rise. While new home building has regressed of late, aftermarket window and patio door screen replacements are on the rise. There are many reasons why you might need to change it before. Here are the eight signs your window screen needs to be replaced.
8 Signs Your Window Screen Needs to Be Replaced
- There are punctures or rips that can’t be repaired. If the damage to your window screen is minimal, you might be able to repair it with a screen patch. Unfortunately, if it’s a large hole, it will be hard to patch without the repair being obvious. This can be an option for a window that doesn’t get much use or impact your curb appeal, but an entire screen replacement is probably the right choice for a regularly used or easily seen window or door.
- Corners are faded or broken. It’s possible to patch toward the center of your screen, but anything near the corners is hard to repair. In this case, you’ll probably need to start over with a new screen.
- The frame is corroded. A frame that is corroded needs to be replaced, which means it’s probably a good time to replace your screen as well. Some frames come with new screens, but not all do, so it’s important to carefully read product descriptions, so you know what you’re getting.
- Mesh is loose or shiny. Whether it’s been ten years or not, worn mesh is a clear sign your screen has reached its end of life. Shiny mesh points to weather damage, while loose mesh doesn’t provide the required or desired durability.
- They are taking away from your curb appeal. Anything worn or unkempt can detract from the appeal of your home, and window screens are a piece of the overall picture. Whether you’re preparing to sell or simply evaluating the exterior of your home for ways to increase curb appeal, your window screens are an easy and comparatively inexpensive consideration for improvement. In fact, window replacements are one of the highest returning home improvement investments, returning 80% or more at resale.
- They don’t support your desired lifestyle. There’s nothing quite like a fresh breeze flowing through your open window and screen doors. Screens allow you to blur the lines between inside and outside—but broken or torn screens blur the lines for insects and pests, too. Unfortunately, for many people, the risk of pests isn’t worth that indoor breeze, preventing them from enjoying the lifestyle they’d like.
- They are no longer meeting your needs. When it comes to window screens, there’s not a one size fits all option. Your window screen needs might change over time, like if you get a new pet who can tear through standard charcoal fiberglass mesh screens, or if you’d like to take steps to keep the heat out. If your screen no longer meets your needs, it’s easy to replace to ensure you get what you want out of your window.
- New Homeowner? New Screens! In today’s hot real estate market, it’s not uncommon to buy a home without an inspection or even sight unseen. New homeowners might quickly find their “new” windows are completely screen-less, which brings you back to reason number six. Clean breathing air, free from pests and debris, is a highly desirable facet of new home ownership.
DIY Your Window Screen Replacement with RiteScreen.
Durable, versatile, and aesthetically pleasing, RiteScreen produces custom window screen solutions designed for both ease of use and long-term performance. We manufacture 40 different window screen products that fit the majority of windows in America, making it easier than ever for anyone to DIY their replacement for their own screen without the help of a contractor. Our window screen replacements are available in a number of sizes, colors, and hardware options and components to suit your windows’ requirements. Whether you’re a business looking for customized solutions, or a consumer looking to DIY their next window and patio door screen project, RiteScreen’s has a solution for you. Call us at (717) 362-7483 today and be on your way to a successful window screen replacement project.
Interested in more content like this? Scroll down and subscribe to RiteScreen. By subscribing to RiteScreen, you can expect to learn about new, innovative products featuring proprietary technology, and you can expect to see announcements as it pertains to the business and growth of our company. We hope you will find our content helpful.