Does your window screen look as if it could tear open at the slightest gust of wind from UV damage? Do you see broken or damaged corners of the frame? Are you noticing mesh that’s loose and shiny due to weather damage? Or is it no longer meeting your lifestyle requirements? If you said yes to any of these questions it sounds like it’s time for you to order a window screen replacement.
Read on to learn what you need to know before changing your window screen.
What You Need to Know for Your Window Screen Replacement
How to Measure Properly
You know the saying “measure twice, cut once.” When it comes to window screen replacement, the saying should really be “measure twice, order once.” That’s because many window screen replacements need the correct measurements down to 1/16th of an inch, leaving minuscule room for error.
To know what measurements you need, you’ll first want to decide what screen you want to buy. Some manufacturers provide directions for taking measurements, while others leave you to figure it out on your own. For the tools you need how to measure, we compiled all the information you need to know to take accurate window measurements
or take a look at this 50-second video.
What Kind of Mesh Do You Want
There are many decisions you need to make when purchasing a window screen. One of the most impactful is what kind of mesh you want, as this supports your lifestyle, whether you want something standard or one that is more durable because you have pets. At RiteFit by RiteScreen, we offer three types of mesh:
1. CharFiber – Standard Fiberglass Mesh: CharFiber Fiberglass screens come standard on every window. Fiberglass screening is woven with a permanent glass yarn coated in protective vinyl. This construction helps ensure lasting color, flexibility, and beauty that won’t rust, stain, or corrode over time.
2. BetterVue – Improved Visibility Insect Screen: BetterVue fiberglass mesh wire does for windows and doors what high-definition technology has done for television viewing: it maximized the view by making it sharper and more brilliant. BetterVue provides greater openness by providing approximately a 20% increase in ventilation and optical clarity while improving light transmittance to complement Low-E coatings. BetterVue features smaller holes and provides about 10% greater insect and pest protection. Other BetterVue features include:
- Flame retardant
- Easy fabrication – the same as standard fiberglass screen mesh wire
- Ideal product for coastal regions
- Better curb appeal than conventional screen
3. Aluminum- Insect-Free Durability: Looking for a reliable insect screen that sets the standard for quality? Our standard aluminum insect screen provides insect protection along with increased visibility. Aluminum screening protects homeowners from disease-carrying insects and features finishes to reduce glare and improve outward visibility making them aesthetically pleasing while mitigating insect invasions.
4. UltraVue – Excellent Visibility Insect Screen: If you’re looking for an insect screening that will block the pests but not the view, then UltraVue excellent visibility (eVis) screening is for you. UltraVue excellent eVis is designed for superior openness to provide:
- Increased airflow, allowing natural light and fresh breezes to flow through
- More optical clarity for a crisper, brighter outward view
- Improves light transmittance in low-E glass windows, offering a brighter view
- Ideal for windows there the focus is on the view
- GREENGUARD Certified – ensuring products have met some of the world’s most rigorous and comprehensive standards for low emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Frame Quality You Want
While the type of mesh impacts your day-to-day, the frame quality you choose can make a long-term difference. You want something that stays in place, fits tightly, last long, and complements your home aesthetic. Here are the frame terms you’ll likely see when exploring options:
- Rolled aluminum: This type of frame uses roll-form aluminum and typically plastic corners. This is one of the least expensive choices, so you might find they are flimsy and bow easily. Plus, they weaken sooner than other options.
- Extruded aluminum: This is a heavy-duty frame option. If you’d like a frame that can last longer, withstand weather conditions, and has a tighter seal, this is the choice for you.
- Security frames: Is security a top concern for you? Security screen frames are the most durable, heavy-duty frames. You’ll often find they come with stainless steel mesh to be cut-resistant. While durable, this isn’t a common need for many homeowners.
You Can Do Your Own Window Screen Replacement
You don’t need to hire a handyman or contractor to change your window screen for you! You can change your window screen yourself to save money, work on your own timeline, and skip the back-and-forth with professionals.
Some replacement screens are more challenging to install than others, so if you choose this route, it’s important to find a screen that doesn’t end up causing more hassle than it’s worth, like minuscule measurements and difficult installation.
At RiteFit by RiteScreen, we know the stress these details can cause, so we developed custom and multi-fit window screen options you’ll enjoy::
- Custom-Fit vs. Multi-Fit: What’s most important to you, a custom fit, or a hassle-free measurement? A custom fit is ideal if you know your window, manufacturer, and screen size down to 1/16 inch. If not, you’ll want to consider a Multi-fit window screen, featuring side expansion panels enabling effortless window measurement and Installation.
- Quick Installation. All you need is 5 minutes to install your new window screen. It ships assembled and does not require on-site alterations, whether custom or multi-fit, so all you have to do is pop it in place.
- Guaranteed Quality. Feel confident your screen will last with the highest-quality, custom extruded aluminum frame and sturdy mesh.
- Works for the Majority of DIYers and Windows. Multi-Fit window screens simplify DIY window installation, requiring only double-hung windows with screen pockets.
- Experts at Your Fingertips. Live customer service chat is always available at ritefitbyritescreen.com.
Plus, enjoy easy ordering from Amazon.com! You can start your DIY screen replacement today when you customize and add to your Amazon cart and check out like usual to get your window screen delivered right to your front door.